Progress on the Trading Server

I want to be proud of my trading server.

It sits there and does work. It watches a universe of names. It scores setups. It sends me alerts. It can carry a plan through entry, invalidation, targets, and the ugly middle where the market does not care that you had a thesis. I wired it into a real broker stack. It comes back after a reboot.

That is a feat. I am going to say that out loud.

Most people who talk about “algo trading” have a chart, a watchlist, and a feeling. I wanted a shop. Data in one place. Alerts that mean something. Playbooks I can read when I am tired. Execution that does not depend on me staring at a screen every minute. A way to look back at what actually happened instead of what I remember happening.

I am getting there.


What It Is Not

It is not a money printer.

The server can be alive and busy and still not make me consistent. Those are two separate scoreboards. One is engineering: does the loop close? (Scan → alert → plan → order → record). The other is trading: after costs and bad weeks, is there an edge I would still run if I were not allowed to touch the keyboard?

I have had to learn that “it is doing things” can fool you. Activity feels like progress. A factory that runs is not the same as a factory that ships a product people pay for. In this case, the product is expectancy. I do not have that nailed. I am not going to pretend I do.

If you are building something like this, that realization might save you a year: Build the rails. Then stop adding scanners long enough to finish one plan.


The Part That Actually Matters

The machine can handle complex trade scenarios. What it cannot invent is the plan.

A plan, for me, is not a vibe and a ticker. It is a set of answers the server can execute without me narrating every candle:

  • When it is allowed to look
  • When it is allowed to fire
  • How much, and what happens if two setups hit at once
  • Where it is wrong
  • Where it is done
  • What it does when the market gaps through the idea, or I am not at the desk

I already built the rails for that. The remaining work is fewer, tighter playbooks—ones I would run if I could not intervene. If it still needs me to interpret every bar, the plan is not finished. The server is.


Why I Am Writing This

I did not grow up on a prop desk. I tinker. I have other lives—art, writing, paying things forward because I learned a lot the hard way. The market is one more shop I decided to take seriously instead of treating like a slot machine.

If you have been staring at charts thinking “there has to be a better way to run this,” there is. It is not magic. It is boring infrastructure plus a written plan plus the humility to measure the live book instead of the story you tell yourself.

I am not selling a signal service. I am not going to tell you I am consistently printing. I am saying the loop can be built by a regular person who is willing to sit with the unglamorous parts: data, alerts, state, risk, and logs.

The server is doing things. I am proud of that. The plan is the next chapter.

If you want to stand up something like this, email shaneshipman@gmail.com with what you already have (broker, market, whether you have a written setup or just a pile of scanners). I will tell you straight if I can help.

Shane
dfwsas.com · wildswingtrades.blogspot.com

Trading involves risk of financial loss. Nothing here is financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell securities. Build at a size that cannot wreck you while you learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALLO

AZI Where To Go From Here?

ZKIN I'm Inn